Tuesday, January 02, 2007

I wanted to write about Saddam and to post something poignant about the death penalty, but words are crude instruments when trying to encapsulate human suffering and human dignity.

So instead today has been all about the saga of the rug, work, doctors appointments, fast food landlords and girlfriends, and the night is young (how prophetic - my dad just called about the rug).

The Rug.
The rug, is a humble gift for my dad from my cousin. But it has somehow lodged itself into my patchwork dishevelled world. I have to retrieve it from a flat in Chelsea, from some woman who is always in a hurry and can not stick to an appointment. I don't know her situation, or indeed who she is, other than a co-worker of my cousin. Meanwhile I am off sick from work or at least I will be coz today was awful. So when do I find the time, and strength to go an get it?

Work.
First day back, and the momentum is as punishing as it was before the break, but with the same lack of people as before.. I don't know what to do but it seems like my job has become entirely admin based, whereby I have to book rooms, organise agendas, cajole delegates.. what the hell is this, politics? Meanwhile I'm told I'm not officially a 'project leader'..I don't want to be either..But somehow I have to be..

Doctors.
I’m ill, I know what I have, I know what I need but the only appointment is when I absolutely cannot make it - i.e. when I am supposed to meet my boss for an appraisal. You know the score, I'm sure you've been there. So tomorrow I am expected to set up camp in the surgery and pray for a slot. Bollocks, just give me some antibiotics, I'm a career asthmatic with my seven millionth chest infection.

Fast food.
Instant roast dinner from Sainsburys, the first little victory of the day.

Landlord.
Finally, raised the roof with landlord and unloaded carefully worded letter.

Girlfriend.
My girlfriend telephoned me, and suddenly its instant laughter and cheering up; the next victory of the day.

Bed.
Then the final and most delicate victory my bed for some good wholesome sleep.


No comments: