Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ramadan Renewal

For a long time I have been thinking about reviving this bloody blog. It was left to gather dust in the google empire like a lost Island republic in the Pacific. But I guess time just beat the stuffing out of me, until now. Now is Ramadan 2009. rather characteristically I started fasting yesterday. Ramadan actually started today. So, I've decided to swap yesterday for today - as I hadn't really prepared anyway so today I shall catch up on all those weekly tasks such as cleaning, shopping, filing and paperwork. Then this evening I shall prepare for Ramadan 2009! I hope I am forgiven for this mix up!

This is actually, my first proper Ramadan, as I have never before fasted for the whole of it so its a bit like a journey for me. I've always had a strange relationship with Islam, one which is distant and indecisive. On the one hand I have an inherent commitment to it, which is part of my character and on the other hand I have a fear of doctrine and religious fervour. Hopefully my little private journey through Ramadan will help me uncover some inner thoughts about being a Muslim. There comes a time when all thoughts and actions combine, I think this is the point of Ramadan.

No comments: