Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ramadan day#2

Really by rights this should for me be day 3 because I started fasting on Friday. But I found out that I had got the wrong day so I decided to not to fast yesterday but start today again instead. I did manage to buy Ramadan essentials from my supermarket such as the all to classic dates, nuts and fruit.

Despite being Ramadan, I believe the principle of 'carrying on' as if normal is important so all those chores which I had intended, I shall still attempt.

OK so having been fasting all day and trying to 'carrying on' as normal, a few observations have come to me.

1. Normal is not normal. normal means accessing food and water at will. The body is in control. It commands and is answered by supermarkets.

2. Ramadan is only significant for the privileged. By definition, making a 'choice' to not eat or drink is clearly a position of privilege, one denied to billions of people where is 'choice' is not available.

3. Making the choice is an act of empathy and a realisation of the first two points.

Being human is so fragile and subject to so many constraints. The body has such demands for existence that if denied, one's whole character changes. Perception of time, sounds gestures are all altered when in a state of hunger.

No comments: